Family Violence and Restraining Orders Lawyers Stockbridge & Atlanta
Stockbridge family lawyers helping to protect you and your family
The experienced Henry County family law attorneys at Meadows, Macie & Sutton, P.C. are ready to help clients who are victims of domestic or family violence. Georgia law defines family violence as “an offense by a current or past member of a household ― spouses, parents, stepparents, foster parents, etc. ― against another.”
Victims of abuse may not realize that they have the power to do something about it. We make sure that you understand the law and know that it provides protections and remedies. You do have legal options, and we’re here to provide strong counsel and aggressive representation.
Relief can be obtained with a temporary or permanent restraining order from the Georgia courts to protect you and your family. Your safety is our main focus.
The process for obtaining protective orders
Domestic or family violence is a serious matter requiring serious action. We can help you obtain a protective order through the following process:
- We file a verified family violence petition alleging that an act of family violence occurred in the past and is likely to occur in the future. You are now known as the petitioner.
- The court is authorized to enter a temporary protective order to provide relief appropriate to the particular circumstances, including:
- Restraining the offending party from committing future acts of family violence or harassment or interfering with the petitioner
- Granting the petitioner exclusive use and possession of the family residence
- Requiring the offending party to provide alternate housing to the petitioner and children
- Awarding temporary custody of children to the petitioner
- Awarding temporary financial support to the petitioner
- If the court finds that a family violence petition is supported by evidence, a temporary protective order is immediately entered, and a hearing is scheduled to determine whether the protective order should be extended or modified.
Sometimes, people may find themselves victims of a false claim of family violence. If this is the case, we can defend you and work to have the claim dismissed.
Regardless of whether such an allegation is founded, an individual in this situation should promptly obtain legal representation. Our attorneys are seasoned in providing legal counsel, support and assistance in this most difficult situation.
Resolving domestic violence issues in Stockbridge, Georgia
When you need an experienced domestic violence lawyer to defend or protect you, call Stockbridge & Atlanta family law and divorce lawyers at Meadows, Macie & Sutton, P.C. at 770-450-1921 or contact our firm online to schedule an appointment.